We all know that books are always better than the movie but I was thinking the other day and couldn't come to a conclusion. Is it better to read the book before a movie or after? If you read it before you sit and criticize and oftentimes cannot fully appreciate the movie. But, if you see the movie first it's hard to use your imagination as you read because you see the characters in your mind as they are portrayed in the movie. Thoughts? I'm stumped.
11 years ago
5 comments:
I had/have this problem, but sine taking some of my theatre classes I've come to realize that a movie can never present all that a book can because it is through the vision of the director and the screenwriter, not yours. I try to take movies based on books with a grain of salt. As for books after movies, I don't know. Half the time Emma is a brunette when I read the book, like she's supposed to be, and half the time she's Gwyneth Paltrow.
What it comes down to is appreciating each as their own medium. Instead of worrying about comparisons, realize that each should be seen as their own entity. I used to totally get caught up in the difference [I'd usually have the book to movie problem], but now that I force myself to differentiate, I've been more content.
Isn't this one of life's most interesting questions. : ) I agree though, it's hard to decide. I love to read the book and see the movie, I don't really care which comes first. I try to read the book first though because I like not knowing what is going to happen next. If you I see the movie first I'm usually not motivated to read the book. I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever! Hope you enjoyed the holidays with your fam. Are you going to FHE tonight?
Tough one. I tend to read the book, then rent the movie later if I feel like it. Although I have still never read the Bourne series because Whitney says it's nothing like the books and I like the movies.
Almost always read the book first.
Post a Comment