BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tacky Tourists - Part 1: Darwin to Alice Springs

So my last two posts were all about Uni... blah blah blah and I have to laugh because I'm supposed to be in my statistics tutorial right now but I decided it wasn't worth my time (and this apparently is!)

Anyway, here are some pictures from the tour! Jojo and I started in Darwin which is just as hot and humid as NE. We then got on a tour bus with 22 other people and drove down the long Stuart Highway (the only highway that connects the North and the South) for 3 days to Alice Springs making a few stops along the way.

Katherine Gorge

There are a total of 13 Gorges and we saw 2 of them on a boat cruise. I believe this is Gorge #2.

I don't think you can tell but Jojo and I are barefoot...she's a bad influence. I never wear shoes anymore!

We had a bit of extra time so our tour guide made a detour and we hiked up (barefoot again) to a waterfall. We didn't bring our swimsuits but we really wanted to go in so we stripped down to our shorts and tanks.
The tropical part of the Northern Territory

Daly Waters Pub is this random pub in the middle of nowhere but all the tourists stop there and leave something behind.
Check it, yo! No Nebraska though. :( But there's Alaska for you, Bri and there was also Illinois!
Workers in the area used to leave their money here because there was no bank. They would sign it and hang it on a wall behind the bar and to get it back they had to match the signature.



Nikolaj (from Denmark) and Jojo.
We got to sleep outside in swags under the MILLIONS of stars.
Devil's Marbles - a total of 5,000 big rocks just sitting in a pile in the outback. There's some geological explanation about how they formed but I don't remember...

Jojo's really not that tall, I don't know what happened!
The flies were EVERYWHERE. Luckily they were little ones and not the big nasty horse flies.

Aren't these hats fantastic? Mine is a classic Australian hat to keep the flies away and Jojo's has a solar powered fan and slide down sunglasses!! We got them from my roommate, Katrina, and we promised her we'd wear them. We're dorks, okay?
Emma (England), Yael and Anat (Israel) and me and Jojo
This is just to prove that we did make friends.
But Jojo and I are still best friends. :)
I have this obsession with ice cream since coming to Australia. Jojo and I ate it at least once a day. These are called "Golden Gaytimes" and we just thought it was quite amusing.
The whole group from the first leg of the tour at the Tropic of Capricorn. We had people from Denmark, England, Canada, Switzerland, France, Germany, Australia, Israel and me... the only American!
Out do dinner the after our last night. People got a little big drunk (or a lot). And some of them had to wake up with us the next day at 5:30 a.m. to leave on our next tour!

0 comments: