Hello hello hello!! Guess what I just did about an hour ago? HELD A KOALA!! It wasn't in the wild, it's at a wildlife sancturary here on Magnetic Island and I also held a little crocodile, a python and a bird ate a seed from my mouth (I just had it pursed between my lips)! But, I forgot my cord to upload pictures so those will have to come at a later date, I apologize. I will give a quick update, though!
I flew to Cairns on Saturday afternoon after a very tearful goodbye (yes, I cried AGAIN) to Joannie, Jojo and Vicky who bless their hearts drove to the airport with me and sat at the gate all the way until I boarded. (Security is much less strict here!) I checked into my hostel about 9:30 p.m., met my roommates, took a walk around town (there's not much to it) and went to bed. On Sunday I laid out for a few hours, got some food, and was overall very lazy. Monday I went on a day trip to the Great Barrier Reef and it was quite the experience! They said the seas were a little rough, but that was the understatement of the century. I made the mistake of sitting on the top deck but before I realized just how big of a mistake it was, it was safer to stay up top and get completely soaked then dare let go of the boat for fear of flying off. I'm not kidding, I feared for my life. So me, a German and a Frenchman just laughed our way through it. I then threw up, snorkeled for a bit, but the seas were very rough and I became quite terrified of the water so I got back in the boat and threw up again. Then, I dove with a tank and everything and loved it. I rented an underwater camera and the disk is being mailed home so keep an eye out, mom and dad! The water was a bit murky, but it was very cool nonetheless! After throwing up a third time when I got back onto the boat (I think it was a bad combination of the rocking boat, nerves and not having eaten breakfast) everyone went snorkeling again but I stayed in and chatted with a nice English girl. I dove with her Dutch friend earlier so the 3 of us held hands and suffered through the bumpy ride back to shore. I also hung out with them and their Canadian friend that evening.
Yesterday, or Tuesday, I went on a day trip to Cape Tribulation which is the rainforest. There really isn't much to say about it. We went on a boat cruise down the Daintree river and saw some crocodiles, I licked the butt of a green ant that tasted like lemon, and was the only one brave enough to swim in a freezing cold gorge. The rainforest was beautiful, especially where it backed right up to the beach. I hung out with the same three girls as before and caught a Greyhound Bus at 12:25 a.m. arriving at Townsville at 5:35 a.m. I slept the entire way there.
I caught a ferry this morning to Magnetic Island and layed on a beach for most of the morning. Then I went to the sanctuary where I played with all the animals (so not like me, I know). Now I'm catching up with the world, waiting to see sundown.
So yeah, that's it so far! I don't know if ya'll enjoy all the details or not but once I get going, I don't stop. Just a few random comments... everyone thinks I'm Canadian because there are HEAPS of them out here and very few Americans. Also, please don't worry about me traveling alone. I promise I'm doing just fine and I'm meeting people everywhere I go.
LOVE YOU ALL!
11 years ago
1 comments:
I love the details, it helps me picture you doing all these FUN things! Lucky you to cuddle a koala! I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to lick ants' butts, ick!
Post a Comment